Saturday, April 02, 2005

Trey's first post-phish interview

Oh, boy!

Although I think I could probably write better than this guy, and don't understand why he gets to go to the barn and I don't (well...). I mean, listen to this drivel:

The hard-driving rock song is not what people expect from him—and to all of those involved that is a very good thing. Expectations unmet can be poison to the creative process. The Barn is devoid of expectations and the music being made is deeper than the wood it stands on.

what?

And here's a great, rambling excerpt from trey:

Relix: You have to come up with a name now.
Anastasio: Well, I have it named. I have it…well…I can tell you the story.

This image, this thing, came to my head: 70 Volt Parade. The idea was when the Phish thing was kind of going down, and when it was going on, it felt like I was part of it. I was picturing this thing in my mind, it was like… 70 volts being slightly more than half the power it takes to run a piece of electrical gear. You picture what would be happening here with wires frayed and sparks flying all over and it's incredibly dangerous, and somebody's about to get electrocuted.

But, things just keep rolling along, and that's what stuck in my head, the image, that's what I felt like I was in. And I liked it, even though it was threatening to do me in at certain points.

The idea is to go out on tour and this thing is a thing that's inclusive of people as much as a band. That's the point, right? So, it's been in the back of my head, that I was gearing up for this tour and this thing has been sticking with me, sticking with me… this image that you go out there and it's going to be dangerous and really electric at the same time and, you know, sparks and [explosion noise].

A parade is a community kind of event: people coming, and then they're a part of it... It wouldn't be anything without people. It's a thing, as opposed to a show. That has been stuck in my head; it still hasn't gone away. So now they're putting up these posters and stuff, I don't know… You know, Band of Gypsies started off with a concept, and people just started calling the band that.


Fantastic.


Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home